PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Everyone has Heard It

John 3:16.  I would venture to guess that it is one of the most well known verses in the bible.

"For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life."  {See... I just did that from memory.  I didn't even Google it.}

It is an important verse because it is the essence of Christianity.  It is the why and the how of Christianity.

Then there is verse 17.

"For God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Not so well known.  {This one I had to Google.}

I mentioned earlier this year that God has really been working on my judgmental heart.  I have been very consciously trying to love and not to judge.

A couple of weeks ago a friend posted a photo on Facebook that got me thinking.  It was a picture of a man holding a sign that said, "As Jesus said about gay people, '             '."  I am not trying to start any kind of controversial conversation here, I mention this only to say that it got me thinking about John 3:17.

I believe that the bible is the inspired word of God.  I believe it is the truth, and cannot be cut and pasted to suit your desires or ways of life.  I believe that we are all sinners in need of a Savior, and that to God, sin is sin.  Period.  I also believe that there are certain things that are black and white in the bible, and other things that are much more gray, and that faith is about believing even when we don't completely understand. 

Having said all that, I go back to my previous paragraph.  This photo got me thinking.  Jesus really did come into the world with one goal: to save us.  To save the lost.  And we are all lost.

If Christ, the only perfect human being to ever walk the face of the earth, could live a life of compassion, empathy, understanding, and most importantly love, how can I, a sinner who fails on a daily basis, stand in judgment of others???

I'm going to be meditating on John 3:17 this week.  Will you join me?

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree and I think that the finger pointing that many non-believers do towards believers on this very subject is one we have brought on ourselves. Simply loving and not judging, something we try to complicate but is in reality a pretty straightforward concept thanks to the words of John 3:17 and the many acts of Jesus we find in the bible. Thanks for sharing this! I will be meditating right along with you on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christ said nothing because He didn't have to. the Jews understood that issue very well, they were students of the law and the prophets who had a lot to say about that issue. notice Paul picked the issue back up when he traveled/spoke to cultures where it was an issue.

    that being said, the truth is supposed to be communicated in love. examine HOW Christ perfectly confronted those who were in sin: the woman at the well, the pharisees, His own disciples.

    we are to give an account AND in love. it's such a sticky place. to speak the truth but not condemn. eek! to love and not deny Him. ouch!

    (i think those so nicely point to our brokenness, and need for HIM)

    i really want to know where this exploration takes you. i am currently seeking out what the scriptures have to say about "the fear of the Lord". i opened a big can of worms! i will pray God will lead you to HIS HEART in this matter! God bless you for seeking HIM in all things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for saying this. I found out two years ago that my son is gay. This was not what I expected and it has been a very hard journey, which I still struggle with daily. My son is a Christian and was brought up in a conservative church. I felt differently about gay people until it "happened" to me. I have searched the scriptures and cling to the fact that God hates the sin but loves the sinner. I love my son and I know God does too. The worst part has been not being able to tell anyone about it because of judgemental attitudes. This when I desperately needed someone to talk to. Again thank you very much for this post. Jesus does love all of us.

    ReplyDelete