PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Wreath

I must admit that, other than for Christmas, I am not a holiday decorating kind of gal.  I am not one of those women that has a tub for each holiday neatly labeled and stacked on shelves in the garage.  It's not because I don't like holiday decorations... it is because I am far too lazy to have to do all that packing and unpacking. 
I hate packing and unpacking!

Needless to say, when Christmas is over my door wreath gets thrown out and for the next eleven months, my door is naked.

Yesterday, I made a new outfit for my door:


Here's how:

Start with a Styrofaom wreath of any size.

Cut strips of fabric, about 1 1/2" thick and wrap them around the wreath.  I used a Styrofoam glue, but I'm sure that any old glue would be fine.  

 

 

Next you will need flowers for your wreath.  I used an assortment... some were store bought, some I cut out of patterned paper, and some I made.

 

 

For these flowers, start with a circle, then cut in a spiral to the center.  Don't cut it in a totally straight line, make the edge a little jagged.


Then, start from the outer edge and roll the paper into the center.  


When you get to the middle, apply some hot glue and stick your spiral down onto the glue.  

 
It doesn't have to be perfect!
I also cut some flowers out of felt.  To make these ones, just fold a square of felt into half, and in half again, then cut a half circle around the non folded corner.
 
 
Then stack two layers together. 
For the green ones, I gathered the centers with a little stitching.  


Finally, attach all your flowers to the wreath.  
I used my glue gun, floral pins, rhinestone brads, and ribbon to put mine together. 


I tied a long piece of tulle to hang mine up. 


6 comments:

  1. I love it, although my frugal heart just about stopped upon reading "gets thrown out"! Please tell me you really mean "donated to some worthy organization." ;)

    I love the paper flowers; that would be a fun spring project for my sixth graders. Does it have to be hot glue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! i love the wreath and LOVE the green flowers! i found a bunch of felt when organizing my office and am SURE to make some tomorrow!

    LOVE the new blog already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen... I purchase fresh wreaths for Christmas, so by the time they leave my door they are dead. I wish I could say I recycle them, but the truth is they go in the trash... sorry!

    As for the paper wreaths... besides for the spiraled paper flowers, I used the hot glue to attach a few of the paper flowers to the wreath, but I'm sure you could use tacky glue, or just pin all the flowers onto the wreath instead. Sounds like a great project for sixth graders... maybe for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love this! Would look so cute for spring too. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, fresh wreaths. That makes sense. LOL

    I think I'm going to forward this project to my room mom for Mother's Day! Would be really cute.

    ReplyDelete