PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, February 4, 2011

Quick Fix Dinner

Recently I have been trying to come up with some Quick Fix meal ideas to have in my arsenal for after the baby comes.  I love to cook, but the reality of my life is that I don't always have time to make a meal from scratch.

Last night I made one of our family's current favorites, and I thought I would share it with you.

This meal is about 90% store made, so it's even more semi-homemade than Sandra Lee.

Here's what you need:

 

Fresh Pasta

{I use two packages of Butoni Wild Mushroom Angolotti and one Butoni Three Cheese Tortellini, which is enough for the three of us plus leftovers}
A Jar of Sauce
{I use Classico Vodka Sauce}
Red Bell Pepper
Zuccini
Mushrooms
Shaved Parmesan Cheese
Vegetable Oil

Put a pot on to boil for the pasta.

 
{Please ignore my streaky pot... I don't hand dry people.}


Chop up the zuccini.



Remove the seeds from the pepper.




Cut the pepper into long thin strips, then half the strips.



I buy pre-washed, pre-cut mushrooms {because it is much easier}, but if you want to do it yourself... good for you!



Heat up some vegetable oil in a saute pan {I use my wok because I like it better}.


When the water is boiling, add the tortellini first because it takes a couple of minutes longer to cook than the angolotti does.




Start sauteing the vegetables.





After a couple of minutes, add the angolotti to the pot.





Continue to stir the vegies while the pasta finishes cooking.



In another pot, heat up the jar of sauce.



When the pasta is done {which should be about 7 minutes after you started the tortellini}, spoon it into the pan with the vegies.  I use a slotted spoon, but don't worry if you get a little bit of the starchy water in the pan... it will just loosen your sauce a little, which is fine.





Add the sauce to the pan.




Spoon a serving onto each plate.




Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the pasta.



Yummy!

P.S.  My absolute least favorite thing about Blogger is that it is impossible to space photos correctly, so please excuse the inconsistent spacing on this posting.  Ugh!

P.P.S.  I think my son is going to be a Photographer when he grows up.  Seriously.  He took every single one of these pictures.

3 comments:

  1. I love quick fix meals! These are a must in my house, especially during wrestling season when my husbands schedule gets crazy.
    Here is a favorite for you, that is 99% homemade, but I get so many compliments on this super easy dinner.
    Green Chili Verde Chicken Taco's
    *You need a crock pot
    Frozen Chicken Breasts or Tenders
    Vons/Pavillions Private Select Green Salsa Lg. Jar
    2 Cans of Black Beans
    Cilantro

    Optional Items Below:
    Sour Cream
    Salsa
    Guacamole
    Tortillas
    Hot Sauce
    Cheese

    Step 1: Put the following items into a crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours depending on your machine.
    a. 1/2 bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders
    b. 1 Large Jar of Von's Private Select Green Salsa. (Yes it has to be Von's Private Select... other kinds are okay but not great)

    Step 2: Leave the house and do your thing

    Step 3: Come home 6-7 hours later. Open Crockpot, shred chicken with two forks and stir. Now you have delicious chicken verde

    Step 4: Prep Side Dishes and Condiments
    a. Black Beans- Put two can's of black beans into a pot with your choice of seasoning. I usually add some chopped cilantro, a bay leaf and salt and pepper. If I have it handy I will also add a little fajita seasoning. Cook until heated
    b. Tortillas- corn or flour its all a matter of preference. I like the uncooked flour tortillas from Von's/Pavillons or Costco. Warm them up in a pan on the stove and they taste like fresh warm tortillas and you look fancy
    c. Sour Cream, Cheese, Guacamole, Onions, Salsa, Cilantro, Hot Sauce... whatever you like

    Step 5: Serve, Eat and Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look fabulous. Heather sent me over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy. Heather of AFD sent me over!

    ReplyDelete